Did you know Foster Kinship has nationally certified child passenger safety technicians who offer car seat education and provide car seat checks and assistance with installs for kinship caregivers? We are passionate about ensuring your children are as safe as possible with you, and one easy thing to do is ensure that their car seat or booster seat is installed and used properly!
To sign up for a class, call (702) 546-9988- or check here for upcoming dates: http://www.fosterkinship.org/training/. Classes are offered in English and Spanish. Foster Kinship car seat education classes are offered for kinship families only.
Car Seat Safety Tips:
Selecting the right car seat:
- Know your child’s age, height, weight, and special needs
- Understand the best practices for rear facing and forward facing car seats
- Use guides from SaferCar.gov or Safe Kids Worldwide to select a seat that works for your child and your vehicle
- If you are considering a used car seat, use this safety checklist before purchasing or accepting
- Check out NHTSA’s car seat ease of use ratings
Check to see if your car seat has been recalled:
- Safercar.gov recall information
- Always register your car seat so you can get notices of recalls
- Check the recall list regularly
- Check the car seat manufacturer website
- Call NHTSA’s toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236
- Remember, most car seats expire 6 years after the manufacturer date!
Ensure correct installation of your car seat or booster seat:
Learn when your child is ready to transition to a seatbelt (it’s later than you might think!)
When in doubt, check it out! Have your car seat checked for free by a Foster Kinship Child Passenger Safety technician. Call 702-546-9988 to make an appointment.