Foster Kinship.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): What Nevada Kinship Caregivers Need to Know

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF): What Nevada Kinship Caregivers Need to Know

According to recent reports[1], less than 12% of kinship families receive TANF support, even though nearly 100% of the children in these families are eligible.

Most children living apart from their parents- including those living with family members- are eligible for cash assistance through TANF, even if the family member they are living with is not eligible.

Full-time relative caregivers do not need legal custody or guardianship to apply for assistance on the child’s behalf.

If caregivers also meet certain income requirements, they may also be eligible for cash grants.

There is great confusion out there about how grandparents and other relatives apply for aid for the children in their care and how that aid is determined. If your relative is eligible for assistance, don’t let misinformation deprive him/her of it.

As a non-parent relative, you may apply for assistance for your child only OR for your child and yourself. Before beginning to apply for any of the TANF programs, it is wise to obtain a copy of the application and the requirements to qualify.

Nevada TANF Benefits are managed by the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services: Division of Welfare and Supportive Services:

PLEASE NOTE: This information is from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services Division of Welfare and Supportive Services. Foster Kinship is not associated with the welfare department and encourages all relative caregivers to speak to a caseworker at the closest welfare office for specific answers to their particular situation.

Status you may qualify for include:

Needy Caretaker- a relative, other than a legal parent, requesting assistance for themselves and a child. A relative’s INCOME and RESOURCES are used to determine eligibility when applying as a Needy Caretaker.

Non-Needy Caretaker-  a relative, other than a legal parent, requesting assistance for the child only. INCOME is used to determine eligibility when applying as a non-needy caretaker.  However, your income should not count. You are filling out the application for your relative, not yourself. It shouldn’t matter what your income and circumstances are- if the state offers child-only grants (NV does), the relative should be eligible for assistance. This is true even if you are the legal guardian. Always double check with several sources before taking no as an answer, even eligibility experts can give you the wrong information.

Nevada Kinship Care Program- To be eligible for a Kinship Care payment, you must:

● be age 62 or older;

● be a non-parent, non-needy relative caregiver (not requesting assistance for yourself.);

● be caring for and residing with a child who is related by blood, adoption or marriage for at least six months;

● file for and obtain Nevada court approval of legal guardianship;

● comply with court imposed requirements;

● relative household members (the child you are requesting assistance for) must have combined income below 275% federal poverty level.


The child(ren) must meet the age, citizenship, and resource eligibility  requirements for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)  program.

The Division can help you qualify for Kinship Care by:

● assisting you in the application and verification process;

● referring you to legal counsel, contracted with the state of Nevada, who will assist you in pursuing guardianship at little or no cost to you; or

● reimburse the relative caregiver up to $600 for legal counsel sought independently, to obtain guardianship.

Application Process

Apply online- You can apply on line at;

Or apply at the office closest to you- if you do not go to the right district office staff will inform you of the correct office location- so call first to confirm. If you ask, staff will accept your application and forward it to the correct office.

Belrose District Office
700 Belrose Street
Las Vegas, NV 89107
(702) 486-1646 – (702) 486-1628 (fax)

Flamingo District Office
3330 Flamingo Road, Suite 55
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 486-9400 (main) – (702) 486-9401 (fax)
(702) 486-9540 (fax)

Henderson District Office
520 Boulder Highway
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 486-5000 – (702) 486-1270 (fax)

Nellis District Office
611 N Nellis Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89110
(702) 486-4828 – (702) 486-4737 (fax)

Owens District Office
1040 W Owens Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89106
(702) 486-1899 – (702) 486-1802 (fax)

Pahrump District Office
1840 Pahrump Valley Road
Pahrump, NV 89048
(775) 751-7400 – (775) 751-7404 (fax)

Documents Needed for Application: You need proof of the information provided, so it’s very helpful to bring as many of the following items as you can:

  1. Proof of residency (lease agreement, rent receipt, mortgage, utility bills).
  2. A Nevada driver’s license or other identification (ID).
  3. A social security card or proof you have applied for one.
  4. Proof of birth for all persons applying for assistance.
  5. Proof of citizenship for all household members.
  6. Marriage and/or divorce decree.
  7. Proof of school attendance for school age children.
  8. Proof of income received, such as pay stubs or a statement from your employer, Social Security Administration, child support payments, loans, etc.
  9. Latest bank statements and proof of other assets such as vehicles, property.
  10. Verification of household composition (who lives in the home and their relationship to the child(ren)).
  11. Verification of subsidized housing assistance.

Child Support Enforcement: All cases for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and medical programs where the adult and child(ren) receive Medicaid must be referred for Child Support Enforcement. : The responsible relative caregiver who is applying for or receiving TANF NEON or Child Only cash assistance must cooperate with the  Child Support Enforcement Program (CSEP) requirements by:

  1. Surrendering and endorsing all support and/or medical support payments to the state after TANF NEON or Child Only cash benefits are approved.
  2. Providing information on the non-custodial parent (NCP);
  3. Participating in efforts to locate the NCP (absent parent);
  4. Establishing paternity when necessary;
  5. Establishing a child support order;

Failure to cooperate without good cause, will result in the denial or termination of TANF NEON, Child ONLY and/or TANF-Related Medicaid (TRM) for all household members. Medicaid from another program will be considered for the child(ren). If the responsible adult is a pregnant woman, she will continue to receive pregnancy related Medicaid coverage during her pregnancy.

The relative caregiver has the right to claim “good cause”, and request a determination of its validity, for not cooperating with CSEP.

PLEASE NOTE: This information is from the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services Division of Welfare and Supportive Services. Foster Kinship does not claim to be a welfare representative or expert encourages all relative caregivers to speak to a caseworker at the closest welfare office for specific answers to their particular situation.

[1] Annie E. Casey Foundation, Kids Count Policy Report: Stepping Up For Kids, 2012.

  • Nancy

    My non needy tanf got denied because the check stubs they asked for and did get another case worker said it was the wrong check stub but it was the one the former worker requested so frustrating!!!!

The materials on this website do not constitute legal advice. The information on this site provides general information only. This information does not constitute legal advice and does not take the place of consulting with an attorney. We do not warrant that the materials on this website are completely accurate, error-free or comprehensive. All materials posted on this site are subject to copyrights owned by Foster Kinship or other individuals or entities. Any reproduction, retransmission, or republication of all or part of any document found on this site is expressly prohibited, unless Foster Kinship or the copyright owner of the material has expressly granted its prior written consent to so reproduce, retransmit or republish the material. All other rights reserved. The names, trademarks, service marks and logos of Foster Kinship appearing on this site may not be used in any advertising or publicity, or otherwise to indicate the organization's sponsorship of or affiliation with any product or service, with the organization's prior express written permission. Although this website features links to other sites, Foster Kinship takes no responsibility for the content or information contained on those sites, as we do not exercise editorial or other control over these sites. This website provides information and services in furtherance of our mission. We make no representations about the suitability or accuracy of the information on this site for any purpose. If you see any objectionable, inaccurate or improperly functioning content or features on this site, please contact Alison Caliendo at (702) 546-9988 as soon as possible.