Summer is almost here, and with it, more time with your children! For some, this can be difficult, as you have to re-balance childcare needs and find activities for the family. It can also be expensive! But there are ways to meet childcare needs on a budget and have some fun too!
Foster Kinship has pulled together some information on local childcare and summer activities. All the information is taken directly from the organizations website and consolidated here for your convenience. Please contact the organization directly for applications and questions. Many places will offer discounts or free childcare depending upon your financial circumstances.
Clark County Library (http://www.lvccld.org/):
The library is a great place to take the kids. Check for storytimes and other free activities offered by your local branch.
Get the kids reading all summer long by signing them up for Club Read: Registration for Club Read, our free program designed for kids and teens to read, earn prizes and have fun, begins Saturday, June 1 and continues through Saturday, August 3. Stop by any library branch to pick up a reading log or register online.
Children from birth to 11 years of age have one log, and teens in grades six and up have a different log just for them. Kids and teens can earn prizes by keeping track of their reading. Every child who signs up for Club Read will get a membership card and a special wallet to put it in!
All participants earn a Book Buck for every five books that are read aloud to them or they read on their own. They can exchange the Book Buck at any Library District Foundation Used Bookstore for a book of their choice. After they read 20 books, they’ll earn a special prize!
Entertaining programs throughout the District will help toddlers, children and teens enjoy the summer, such as a theatrical adaptation of The Secret Garden, a Fratello Marionettes performance of Aladdin, Tony Daniels magic show, storyteller Jim Cogan, storytimes, music, yoga and more.
Call (702) 734-READ to find your local branch and for more information.
Las Vegas Urban League Child Care Subsidy Program (http://www.lvul.org/childcare.html):
The Las Vegas Urban League’s Child Care Subsidy Program provides financial assistance to income eligible families who struggle with the high cost of child care. We work to empower parents to make the choices that will lead to self-sufficiency. Our program is contracted through the Division of Welfare and Supportive Services (DWSS) with the purpose of connecting our families to a variety of quality child care programs at an affordable cost.
2470 N. Decatur
Las Vegas, NV 89108
For your convenience, we have provided an application for child care subsidy.
Application for Childcare Subsidy Program (.doc)
Application for Childcare Subsidy Program (.pdf)
Sizzling Summer Pass: Enjoy everything the Y has to offer for 4 full months!
- $99 for individuals, only $199 for families
- Access to pools, water parks, wellness centers, group classes and more
- Full member benefits at all four Y locations
- Good for 4 full months from date of purchase
OFFER EXPIRES JUNE 30, 2013
Summer Day Camps: It’s the Summer to Shine! Registration is now open for all of the Y’s Summer Day Camps.
- June 10-August 23, 9am-4pm
- FREE CAMPER CARE 7-9am & 4-6pm
- Traditional camp and tons of speciality camps and field trips
- Financial assistance available
For Summer Day Camp information and schedules, select from the location below:
Heinrich YMCA Day Camp Schedule
Durango Hills Community Center YMCA Day Camp Schedule
Centennial Hills Community Center YMCA Day Camp Schedule
SkyView YMCA Day Camp Schedule
Boys and Girls Clubs (http://www.bgclv.org/):
Join the fun! Becoming a Boys & Girls Clubs of Las Vegas member is easy. The Club offers more than 100 fun-filled, value-based programs that include arts and crafts, games, team sports, homework help, and so much more. Visit your local Clubhouse for a tour and to pick up a membership application.
1. Find a Club that is near your home, school, or place of employment.
2. Download a membership form click here. You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF file. Download it free here.
3. Bring this membership form along with your membership fee to the Club and you are ready to have fun and learn new skills.
For more information about hours and fees please call (702) 367-2582 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Child Care Assistance (CCA): No child is ever turned away for economic reasons. Free Child Care Assistance is available at all Clubhouses for all fee-based programs. Your Program Administrative Assistant will be happy to provide the necessary paperwork.
If you would like your child to join a Club, please complete a Membership Application and submit the application and membership fee of $20 (*5-12) or $10 (Teens) to the Clubhouse nearest you upon registration.
**Check with your local Boys & Girls Club for hours of operation
Lied Memorial Clubhouse
2850 Lindell Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 368-0317 | Fax (702) 367-9522
Cross Roads: Sahara & Decatur
Donald W. Reynolds Clubhouse
2980 Robindale Rd.
Henderson, NV 89014
(702) 614-8550 | Fax (702) 614-8553
Cross Roads: Eastern & Robindale
Andre Agassi Clubhouse
800 N. Martin Luther King Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89106
(702) 638-1120 | Fax (702) 638-0190
Cross Roads: Washington & Martin Luther King
John D. “Jackie” Gaughan Clubhouse
920 Cottage Grove Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89119
(702) 731-6658 | Fax (702) 731-6682
Cross Roads: Flamingo & Maryland Pkwy.
2801 E. Stewart Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 388-2828 | Fax (702) 388-1326
Cross Roads: Stewart & 28th Street
2530 E. Carey Ave.
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
(702) 399-3172 | Fax (702) 649-1952
Cross Roads: North Las Vegas Blvd. & Carey
Ralph and Betty Engelstad Clubhouse
3540 Cambridge St.
Las Vegas, NV 89169
(702) 792-1388 | Fax (702) 792-0505
Cross Roads: Maryland Pkwy. & Dumont
Wet ‘N Wild: http(//www.wetnwildlasvegas.com/):
New this summer! Wet’n'Wild Las Vegas is located in southwest Las Vegas, near I-215 between Sunset Road and W. Warm Springs Road on Fort Apache Road- 7055 S. Fort Apache Road.
There are two great passes on sale at Wet’n'Wild now including the Season Pass and the Gold Pass. Both passes offer you unlimited entry to the park during the season’s public operating days and times, and the Gold Pass provides you with VIP benefits, including FREE parking and discounts inside the park. Passes are assigned to a specific person and are non-transferable.
2013 Pass Pricing (ages 3+)
Season Passes and Gold Passes are both great value and offer you an entire season of unlimited fun. Right now you can save even more with the Family & Friends Deal when you purchase 4 or more passes. This Friends & Family discount is only available when you purchase 4 or more of the same pass type (Season Pass or Gold Pass). Gold Pass and Season Pass combinations are not eligible for the Family & Friends discount. Season Passes can be upgraded individually to Gold Passes at Guest Services, once the park is open for the season. The price to upgrade may vary depending on the price paid for the Season Pass and the advertised Gold Pass price at time of the upgrade.
Fees for parking, food, merchandise, tube and locker rentals, games, special concerts or events are not included in Season Pass or Gold Pass prices, unless otherwise stated.
City of Las Vegas Summer Camps (http://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/find/21337.htm) :
Kids Kamp (ages 6-11)
Teen Kamp (ages 12-15)
Summer Kids Kamp offers children and teens fun, fitness and adventure with age-appropriate activities, including arts & crafts, games, sports, special events and/or field trips, all in a safe, supervised environment.
Camp hours are Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Some camps have extended weeks through August.
Fees are $75 per child per week, $70 each additional child.
Not all camps are held at all locations. Call the individual facility for details.
Cimarron Rose Community Center, 5591 N. Cimarron Road, (702) 229-1607
Doolittle Community Center, 1950 N. J St., (702) 229-6374
Stupak Community Center, 300 N. Boston St., (702) 229-2488
Rafael Rivera Community Center, 2900 E. Stewart Ave., (702) 229-4600
$100 per child per week, $90 each additional child
Mirabelli Community Center, 6200 Elton Avenue, (702) 229-6359
Veterans Memorial Leisure Services Center, 101 N. Pavilion Center Drive, (702) 229-1100
Clark County Summer Camps (http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/parks/pages/day-camp.aspx):
(702) 455-8251 – CCParks@ClarkCountyNV.gov
Day Camp is extremely popular and available space in the program fills quickly. Priority for registration will be given on a first come, first serve basis. Mail in registration that is postmarked before the mail in date will be returned. Drop in registration is accepted if space is available.
|What parents need to know?
- Day Camp is for children ages 6 – 12 (may be age 5 and have completed kindergarten)
- Hours: Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on designated dates
- Participants are required to bring a lunch and two snacks that do not need heating or refrigeration.
- All day camp participants will be required to take a swim test prior to participating in any swim activities or field trips where swimming is included. Swim dates and times will be announced in advance at each location. Parents may escort their child to any Clark County pool in order to obtain a swim test certificate.
|What can my child do at Day Camp?
- Paint, draw, make crafts and do special theme projects.
- Play sports, games, take field trips, and have free time in the gymnasium.
- Enjoy skits, drama, movies, and science projects.
- Have fun with friends.How do I reserve a spot for my child?
How do I reserve a spot for my child?
- Payment in full is required to reserve a spot.
|What does it cost to join Day Camp?
- $15 per day or $70 per week, per child
- There is a 50% discount for the third child if enrolling three children for the entire week (from the same family)
- We accept Las Vegas Urban League CCAP
- Field trips may be offered at an additional fee. Field trip shirts are mandatory for participants attending the field trip. Shirts may be purchased for $4 prior to the trip.
- A late fee will be assessed for children picked up after 6:01 p.m.
- Refunds for Day Camp will be issued if notice is given by Wednesday of the prior week
|That’s a lot of money up front. Do I have any payment options if my child will be attending for several weeks?
- Yes, if your child will be attending more than two full weeks consecutively, you can reserve your spot by paying for the first two weeks. The remaining payments will be due by 6:00 p.m. each Wednesday for the upcoming week. Your spot will not be held if payment is not received by the deadline. Remember: this optional payment plan is for consecutive full weeks only. Breaks in attendance, or partial weeks, do not qualify for this payment plan.
We provide free breakfast and lunch for all registered participants in our summer camps.
Clark County Parks and Recreation assures the Nevada Department of Education that meals will be served to all children without charge. Acceptance and participation requirements for the program and all activities are the same for all regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service.
There is no Summer Food Program on June 6 & 7, 2013
The Summer Food Program will start June 10 and go through August 23, 2013
Where is the nearest program?
Springs Preserve Summer Camps (http://www.springspreserve.org/education/summercamps.html):
Let your kids run wild here! Springs Preserve Summer Adventure Camps offer something for every young explorer, with 11 full-day (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.), week-long camps June 10 to Aug. 23 for children ages 6 to 12.
Campers experience new activities each week. Get face-to-face with a Gila monster, make eco-friendly crafts, go on a nature walk or scavenger hunt, explore our museums, climb a 9-foot kapok tree and explore a gorilla’s nest in our exclusive summer Rainforest Adventure exhibit. Ready for more? Act out and get silly (or serious!) with drama pros on our stage and even go for a swim at the nearby Y. Kids have fun and come home knowing more about the world around them, but we won’t let on! Educational experts lead the fun, so skip the day-care and explore more this summer.
Enrollment is $200 per week ($180 for Springs Preserve members). After-hours care is available from 6:30 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 6:30 p.m. for an additional $25 weekly fee. Register online, at the Springs Preserve ticket office, or by calling (702) 822-7700.
Discovery Children’s Museum Summer Camp (http://www.discoverykidslv.org/summer-camp-july-1-august-2-2013/) :
Come play and learn with us this summer! Bring your curiosity and sense of wonder as you join Museum educators for fun activities that focus on science, art and more. There’s something for everyone at DISCOVERY Children’s Museum!
Sessions will be offered in the morning (8 a.m. to 12 p.m.) and afternoon (1 p.m. to 5 p.m.) Weekly camp sessions are offered for two age groups: 6 to 9 years, and 10 to 12 years.
PRICES: $180.00 per camp session (1/2 day) per week; Museum members receive a 20% discount per camp, per week. Between Care is FREE with purchase of both morning and afternoon camps in the same week (same children); $25 per week with half day camp registration only. Additionally, an add-on lunch (provided daily) option is available for $75.00 per week, per child.
SPACE IS LIMITED, call the museum reservationist at 382-KIDS (5437).