We are looking for a community engagement intern to assist with outreach in the Las Vegas area.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT INTERN
Foster Kinship, a 501c3 nonprofit organization that provides support and resources for individuals raising their relative’s children, is seeking a Community Engagement Volunteer Intern to work with our executive director for a minimum of 12 weeks, possibly longer.
GENERAL INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION
Foster Kinship is looking for an enthusiastic student who is eager to learn more about various aspects of community engagement, including developing community partnerships and initiatives to strengthen in impact of services and programs, identify client needs, and form a community stakeholder steering committee to direct future engagement activities. This internship will be designed to help the intern learn about many facets of community engagement through hands-on project based experience.
BASIC INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION/DUTIES
Responsibilities may include:
- Schedule, implement, and periodically suggest new community-based programs, partnerships, and other engagement initiatives;
- Identify, initiate, and deepen relationships with various community stakeholders;
- Form a steering committee of community stakeholders and facilitate regular meetings;
- Implement meetings, surveys, and other ways for communicating with, and receiving feedback from, the community about Foster Kinship and it’s programs as related to client need;
- Attend community meetings on behalf of Foster Kinship to hear community concerns, provide information about community engagement, and advocate for participation;
- Attend non-Foster Kinship programs and events relevant to better understand community interests and activities;
- Maintain various databases of groups of stakeholders;
- Create mechanisms for internal and external evaluation of engagement initiatives;
- Distribute information to the community and broader publics through multiple channels;
- Distribute information to Foster Kinship staff and volunteers regarding engagement activities;
- Successfully integrate engagement work into all aspects of Foster Kinship and enlist the support of executive director to do so;
- Compile collected information for Executive Director to regularly present to Foster Kinship Board of Directors.
Location & Hours: This unpaid internship will be based in our main office location: 5030 South Paradise Road, Suite A118, Las Vegas, NV 89119. Cross streets: Paradise and Tropicana. Specific days and number of hours are flexible and can be negotiated based on course load.
Start & End Dates: This internship is available now for any interested students. A minimum commitment of 12 weeks is preferred.
This internship will allow the student to bring their classroom knowledge into the real world and deeply broaden their knowledge and portfolio through hands-on application in a nonprofit environment. Foster Kinship also offers the intern:
- The opportunity to work one-on-one with colleagues who have broad and deep experience in nonprofit management, community engagement, facilitation, and communication
- Hands-on experience to build portfolio and professional contacts
- Participation (when not working on other projects) in workshops, programs, or events. The number of opportunities will depend on the length of the volunteer assignment.
- School credit, depending on the requirements of the volunteer’s school
Education: Minimally, should be a second year college student or equivalent, prefer an individual that is pursuing or just completed a degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Counseling or related field.
Job Experience: Previous office experience preferred.
Special Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills;
- Outstanding organizational and follow-through skills. Strict attention to detail is a must; ability to multi-talk is essential;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Experience in Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access;
- Experience and success working in partnership with local residents and community organizations;
- Familiarity with the Las Vegas area and culture;
- Effective communication, both in person and in writing (fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred);
- Proven ability to listen and ask questions with empathy and inquiry;
- Experience organizing and facilitating groups of people and collecting and reporting feedback a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
This unpaid volunteer internship is for currently enrolled or recently graduated students. Please do not apply if you are looking for a full-time position.
Applicants should submit a resume, letter of interest, completed Foster Kinship intern application and writing sample to Alison Caliendo by email to Ali@fosterkinship.org. Applicants may be required to pass a background check.
Foster Kinship is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.